I don’t have much to report about resources, except I’m still working on that. I decided to refactor some code, which I’m not quite done with yet.
There was an issue with an object factory in the code, responsible for creating items from inventory. It’s used many places and it takes time. Luckily the compiler do complain extensively about where and what is wrong.
Posted in code quality
We have started to work on a new big feature for Burnt Islands – a tool/weapon ship. Player will be able to build a ship from resources available in inventory. Form of the ship and tools/weapons as well as a number of each will be totally defined by player. Here is what we have planned:
- Build ship with basic craftable boxes. You can build unlimited if you have resources to craft boxes.
- Attach tools and weapons to the ship.
- Jump up the ship and travel/do things (would need an energy tank filled with oil)
- Dig/build with the tools from the ship
- Transport resources
Here is what we have for now (boxes that can be attached to each other in order to make a big ship):
At the moment we’re working on adding resources. So far, so good. Here is a screenshot of the work in progress. Please, no references to Minecraft. Those cubes are to be replaced by real models soon!
Burnt Islands 0.14.1 Windows
Burnt Islands 0.14 OpenSUSE 12.3
Burnt Islands 0.14.1 Debian 7.5
This release fixes three more crash bugs.
Also the there have been some tweaks here and there regarding the skills max speed and strength and the physics engine is upgraded from Bullet 2.80 to Bullet3 ‘latest-at-Github’.
- Tweaks to experience / upgradable skills
- Three crash bugs eliminated
- Objects are prevented from falling through the ground before the ground/terrain is created.
A video of a “Blue eye” weapon explosion in Burnt Islands after refactoring threads in the game. We’ve had a real bottleneck here!
Burnt Islands 0.14 Windows
Burnt Islands 0.14 OpenSUSE 12.3
Burnt Islands 0.14 Debian 7.5
This release has more unplanned features as a result of the feedback from players. Main improvement is better flying. Player now uses fuel only when you are moving while in the air.
Try it out!
- Many small islands all over the world. Player can now fly in all directions continuously. Only your capabilities is the limit!
- Metal trees that give metal when destroyed.
- Burned House with some resources inside.
- Drill tool
- Planks that represent the door at start is moved to the side. Perhaps it will be easier for players to understand what to do.
- Pickaxe is changed to drill.
- Visual images in the inventory make it easier to see what you have.
- You can now place items in scene and use them as walls/barriers. They won’t be picked up unless you want them too.
- You can see where you can plant trees. Red means you can’t plant at the spots, while green means you can plant it.
- New game inside new game didn’t work in release 0.13
While testing a “Blue eye” weapon I noticed that you can shoot up in the air and the bombs will collide with each other making beautiful explosions.
Also, this blue explosion cannot damage the ground any more, just robots. The reason for this is technical difficulties as you can shoot many bombs fast and thus the whole game will be busy updating terrain.
Posted in demo, design, screenshots, weapon
Tagged bomb, bombs, burnt islands, developing, explosion, graphics, screenshot, terrain, weapon
As a game progresses we set new goals. A new one for next release is more time players play “Burnt Islands”. In current release 0.13 the longest time played is 33 minutes. Which is bad. We get feedbacks where people tell us that they don’t understand what to do. So in order to fix this, we are changing the “door” concept.
The door will now be placed on one of the walls (and not in the ceiling as it was before). The planks will have some space between them so that player sees what’s behind them. And, behind the door is a “spiral” tunnel that leads players out. The tunnel is “dug” procedurally and thus all the resources that player gets by digging in this region are lying in the tunnel and the player can pick them up. It is mostly oil barrels for now that are used as an energy fuel in order to fly.